Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Student Movement (MGOCSM) is the student wing of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. The students and senior leaders of our church who were residing in Madras (Chennai), India in the early part of this century felt the need for an organization to bring together our students in various colleges and high schools with a view to deepening their spiritual life and to create in them a livelier sense of fellowship. So they founded the Syrian Student Conference in 1907 and first conference was convened on January 1st, 1908 at Tiruvalla, Kerala, India. Annual conferences have been a regular feature since that year. The Syrian student conference, the parent organization, assumed its present name MGOCSM in 1960. Ours is the oldest Christian student organization in India. Our motto is Worship – Service – Study. Mar Gregorios Orthodox Christian Student Movement (MGOCSM) is the oldest Christian Student Organization in India. It is the student wing of the Indian Orthodox Church, officially known as the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church with Headquarters at Devalokam, Kottayam, Kerala, India.
Worship, Study and Service.
The Movement has three main objectives:
- To deepen the spiritual life of its orthodox members.
- To prepare them to be responsible citizens in the Church and Society
- To encourage them to commit themselves for sacrificial service in the Church and Society
The unit meets every Sunday after the Holy Qurbana. The sessions comprise of prayer, bible reading, devotional songs, classes/speeches, quizzes, personality development programs, games, entertainment programs etc. Various other activities which do justice to the motto are also organized.
Some of them are
- Classes on faith, liturgy and traditions of the church.
- Educational orientation classes and personality development programs.
- Providing study materials, uniforms and other scholarships to financially backward students.
- Awards for academic excellence.
- Providing clothes, medicines and financial aid to the needy.
- Annual grants to selected orphanages and charitable institutions.
- Arts and sports competitions for Sunday School students, during Onam Holidays.
- Annual tours to various Christian centers and other important places.
- Quiz and Light Music competitions.
- Publishing Newsletters and Magazines (for circulation among members only).
- MGOCSM helps students to review the Sunday school topics, discuss the disturbing thoughts, and doubts they carry, enlighten through seminars and conferences etc.
Before Holy Qurbana